2.18.2007

Things that make you go,"Hmmmm"

I was privileged to attend a conference this weekend that was chock full of things that made me go, "Hmmmm..." I heard new things about the history of the Hebrew language that fascintated and provoked an intense interest to study more about the ancient pictographic language used before the modern Hebrew alphabet was created. I learned new and interesting things about pursuing intimacy with God and how He can use our loneliness as a catalyst to greater intimacy with Him.

I watched a very gifted man deliver four intense, deep, thought- and spirit-provoking talks with no notes, prompted to by his own depth of study and, more importantly, his own intimate relationship with his Heavenly Father. For hours, I sat mesmerized not by slick delivery or smooth presentation skills, but by a "knowing," deep in my spirit, that this man had paid a great price for this knowledge and intimacy, but he'd paid the dues and could now speak with great authority on the subject. The words he spoke carried an almost tangible weight because of the authority he had to speak. This man knew things from his experience with God that went far beyond the obvious scholarly work he had done. Oh, he'd studied in an academic fashion to be sure, but his depth was not because of knowledge, it was due to his deep understanding.

In my experience with life thus far, I have come to believe that understanding does not come from mere information. I can read and study and know things, but to understand them I have to experience them in some way. For instance, I know a thing or two about computers, as do many of you, but I really know certain programs, like Word and PowerPoint, because I have a depth of experience with them. That understanding allows me to think through odd quirks we run across at work, not from a memory of a certain thing, but an understanding of how many things relate to one another and thus form a more complete picture.

It was the same with Jim Driscoll this weekend. His study was enhanced and knowledge had become understanding because he's done more than just read his bible and study the original language. He's experienced God in very tangible ways that have lent him an understanding of God's ways.

My direction for this year has been "prepare" for greater understanding. This weekend of teaching has given me an even greater hunger to do just that, and now I have a greater sense of how to pursue and get that understanding. Thank you, God, for Jim's example and clarity. Thank you for an inspiration that has led to a direction, that will lead to understanding.

2 comments:

Nadine said...

Don - your thoughts were well written and I want to thank you for sharing. I too enjoyed what he had to say and was moved to come to a better understand and deeper relationship with God.

Emancipation of the Freed said...

What an amazing weekend, I too feel truely blessed. Jim bumped us all a few notches forward in our ability to "explore the supernatural". It's encouraging to know that you were so blessed, thank.

Z