3.07.2007

Agin' Ain't for Wimps

Last weekend I came face to face with a very harsh reality. My parents are old and they're really starting to show it...especially my mom. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with getting old - I want to do it myself some day (though some of my young friends at church will tell you I'm already there). But they are truly getting old. Mom's 85 and Dad's 89.

This weekend the rose-colored veil of denial was rudely pulled from my face as I came to terms with the fact that my Mom's health is in serious decline. No one killer thing, you understand, but the combination of being 85 and having numerous medical issues that limit her mobility and balance. When we accompanied them to her doctor's appointment Monday, it happened. He said that horrible thing doctors say, "Enjoy your life, do the things you want, and try not to fall." Stark reality. There is nothing medical science can do. Just, "Enjoy your life..." with the inference being clear. Drat! My rosy veil all torn to shreds in one sentence.

What I am coming to terms with is that 85 is good, long time to live and it ain't over 'til its over. God will decide how much longer I have to enjoy my mom's company, but I can guarantee you that we will indeed enjoy life, because we know the Giver of Life. We also know that our parting here is only temporary. We'll see one another again, so we're not saying good-bye at all anyway, just "see ya later." And we don't have to say that just yet either. Thank you God, for the good times and hard times and the inevitability of our mortality. It keeps things in perspective to know that we don't have unlimited time and that we can make the most of the time we do have, because You are Life and Life Abundant!

1 comment:

Nadine said...

Don - What sweet sentiments. I understand how you feel...my mom is 81 years old. I will keep your mom in prayer.