2.02.2007

Back to Reality...For Real

Yeah...another "coastie" picture - just another beautiful sunset from our balcony at Seaside. This is from the camera in my phone because it's what I had handy - but it's pretty good, I think. I am hooked on sunsets at the beach, but here I am, back in our little home office with freezing temperatures outside and most of a week back at work under my belt.

Could somebody pass the beach reality back this way, please?!?

I have to tell you that without a doubt, I was wired for fun and frolic. I go to work every day and I do my very best because I feel responsible to the folks who make it possible for me to live in a snug little house and eat decent food and enjoy a fair share of gadgets, toys and conveniences. But I cannot say that I am enjoying work at the moment. Parts of it are great - I love teaching classes and working with people to solve their perplexing computer issues. (Yeah, in case you didn't know it, I'm kind of a geeky person. Not a super nerd, but geeky. I love electronic gadgets, but frankly I don't care about the circuits and wiring. I love great design in a gadget, design that makes things easy to use....but I digress) But for the most part, there is a tremendous amount of stress in my work life and I cannot see what the stress is really accomplishing, except to give me headaches and tempting me to buy lottery tickets.

I was thinking about this "wiring issue" again this week back at work. I've long joked that I want to be full time "Minister of Fun." I just know that in this performance-driven, Type-A world in which we live there is a place for learning to how to relax and just enjoy the moment. When we went to Maui, they told us not to be in a rush, but to relax and enjoy "Island Time". I adapted immediately.

I prefer not wearing a watch, for instance. I love just soaking in the experience of whatever I am doing at the moment - watching the waves dance on the beach, talking with friends, sipping a good Syrah (or Cab or Cab-Merlot, or Sangiovese, or Viognier...you get the idea), grilling up a great steak, and most of all, spending time with my bride of 20 years.

I guess what I'm saying is...if there is such a thing as a ministry to people who need to learn to just relax and enjoy life in the moment...SIGN ME UP! That's what I want to do. I have deep desire to see people released from bondage of time and performance. Organization and efficiency and diligence are great - in balance...I am just saying that if you DON'T know how to relax and have fun...we need to spend some time together. Island time. Trust me.

3 comments:

Nadine said...

Hey can I sign for the ministry of fun. I'm so there pal.
N

Don C. said...

I think we would be a fabulous team, N! Oh, yeah!

~Wildchilds3~ said...

You amuse me... =)