6.11.2007

Oldfangled Ideas

As I was thinking of what to write, I was tempted to call this post Newfangled Ideas but I realized that the ideas in question are really just new to me, and maybe to you. Others have had, or known of, these ideas throughout history.

I learned more this weekend about the power of belief than I had thought possible. After all, I'd made a sort of study of that sort of thing many years ago. I learned then that if you truly believed something, you would act in such as way as to make it come to pass. It's called the law of attraction by some. By some it is described in this way, "What you focus on, you make room for*." I had become cynical in my study. I'd read Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich (I don't recommend it unless you're really into deliverance). I'd taken a class based on Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, I'd helped facilitate some of the workshops and it seemed to all come down to a common denominator.

Take truths from scripture (usually Proverbs), strip out the references to God, repackage them in secular humanistic language and make MILLIONS of dollars and build a personality cult. It seemed to me to all come down to making money off the poor saps who desperately wanted to have it all and who were willing to spend a large percentage of their incomes to get there, only to find out that the principles don't always work. At least not for the vast majority of us.

Why?

This weekend, I learned a big part of the answer from a Christian perspective and it makes total sense. You see, Jesus did say we could do all things if only we believed and had faith. So the principle is truth established by God and manifested in Jesus. The difference is that He had no unbeliefs swimming around in his sub-concious mind. We do. We have these areas of unbelief, many of which can be formed at early ages and unless we "reprogram" that area of unbelief, we will self-destruct in our attempts to succeed. We have to get rid of judgments against ourselves and others. We have to accept ourselves. We have to fully believe.

We, the Church, have all the reason in the world to believe for miracles of healing, resurrection from the dead, signs and wonders for our FOUNDER manifested all those things and left with the reassurance that we would do even greater things than these. So why aren't we? Why are so many in the Church running on empty?

Let's take up the challenge to look at our unbelief and challenge it with truth. Let's start believing, truly believing for the miracles and let GOD do the deciding, eh? Don't ya know our enemy will just hate that? Don't ya know there is a dying world out there desperate for the supernatural reality of Christ in us? Let's just do it.

* I just received a comment that I had misquoted someone so I've corrected it inline with the rest of the text. Somehow, I merged two statements into a single quote. The actual two thoughts are these, "What you focus on, you make room for. What you fear, you empower." My apologies for the mistake and thank you, Greg for the correction - and for reading my blog!

5 comments:

OrangRecneps said...

Thanks for this post!

Just one question -- Where do we start in our quest to reprogram our unbelief? What's the first step? How do we measure progress? Okay that's three questions

You know me, I'm concrete, I need an instruction manual. :)

Don C. said...

I believe you’ll be able to get all the answers online in a few days. Tom gave the masters for the recordings of Greg’s teaching to the Mapes so it should be posted on the Streams Ministry site – somewhere - in the next few days.

Greg Mapes outlined a process to identify and confront our unbelief. It goes something like this.

1. First identify an area where you have been struggling to succeed, no matter how hard you try.
2. This is important, though it sounds goofy. You need to get your spirit-man in touch with your soul and flesh, so you need to do something that heightens your body awareness. He suggested crossing your arms and tapping your elbows, or getting barefoot and tapping or rubbing your foot on the floor, or lightly tapping an acupressure point or nerve meridian (like the center of your chest).
3. Ask the Lord for revelation about any unbelief you have. Example he gave was that he had gotten careless with a knife and stabbed his thumb (to the bone). When he was teaching a friend this process and was demonstrating tapping his elbows he got a revelation that he’d judged himself (“That was stupid”) when he stabbed his thumb.
4. Ask the Lord to forgive you for your judgment.
5. Forgive yourself, and speak the words out loud. He used (paraphrased), “I forgive myself. I am a child of God, and even though I judged myself when this happened, I now completely and unconditionally accept myself.”
6. As you do that, God may reveal more offenses you’ve taken with your self. Follow the trail to the root, repeated at each revelation that you accept yourself.

He reported that as he went through that process just to teach someone, his thumb was healed. Pretty cool.

Emancipation of the Freed said...

Brother, I am with you, let's just do it, let's just do it together!

Z

Nadine said...

Amen.

Anonymous said...

You said, "What you focus on, you empower." Correctly it is two quotes: "What you focus on you make room for." and "What you fear you empower."

I never got the CD's (maybe Patty did) but I'm putting up a blog site to cover this stuff at:
http://coachmapes.com
blessings,
Greg