1.23.2007

20 Years Ago Today

It's mind-blowing to realize that on this date 20 years ago during a snowy, cold, Friday night my beautiful bride and I exchanged vows and rings, committing ourselves to a lifelong love in marriage. Little did we realize the adventure that lay before us. We just knew that everything would be wonderful along the way.
The funny thing is...for the most part we were right! It has been wonderful all along the way. Believe me when I tell you that our journey has had its share of sorrows, heartbreak and trial. We've had to face hard truths about each other, ourselves and our families that hurt so deeply that at times we thought we would burst.
Through it all, we can look back and say that God truly does cause all things to work together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. He is truly the giver of good gifts, and the most wonderful gift I've been given next to His Grace and salvation is my wife. She well and truly completes me.
There is no doubt that I am a better man for having loved her and known her these 20 + years. She has led me, by example, to new levels of peace and rest in God. Through her loving support I am able to face trials and challenges with more grace. Her love has allowed me to believe that maybe, just maybe, I have something more to offer the world than a quick joke or a chuckle. Maybe, just maybe, God has planted in me the greatness she says she sees in me.
I have such a hard time seeing it for myself, but I love her and trust her and know that God has put her into my life to help me see what I could not see for myself. So I choose to believe, in faith, that she's seeing me with God's eyes and it helps me get through another day when others would tell me that I am not measuring up, that I am a failure, that I can't cut it. The one person on this earth who know me best, my worst and my best, believes in God's destiny for me. She helps me believe I can fly.
Thank you my beloved for seeing through the "funny man" disguise to the sea of love and compassion that swirls within me. Thank you for seeing the me you can love, honor and cherish in the best and worst of times, in sickness and in health, until death parts us...temporarily.
Happy anniversary, my beloved.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A whole lotta people see what I see, Baby. I am so blessed to have you! Love you!

Emancipation of the Freed said...

20 yrs! Congrats!! Woohoo!!!
I love you guys!

Z

Nadine said...

You guys are great and perfect for each other. I love you both. Congrats on 20 years! BTW - I agree with D, lots of people see what she sees - you're a good man. Love, Nadine

Unknown said...

blessings on you both...

you are both furiously loved in my book - and in our home - and in our body...

love you man...

Anonymous said...

You two are my hero's. My inspiration, strength, and role models. I am so blessed to be a part of your family. I am proud to be your niece. Thank you. For showing me just what faith and love can do. For showing me how to never give up on things you believe in.
Happy 20th Anniversary! I love you both more than you'll ever know. Without you in my life... I'm not sure where Id be.