7.15.2006

Summer Saturdays

It's another Saturday - one of my favorite days of the week. My absolute favorite is Sunday, but Saturday is great, too. I love sleeping in and it's my only sleep-in day. I love doing little projects, especially on no particular rush or timetable. I love picnics in the park, to which we are headed this afternoon. I love the relaxed pace of life on the weekends.

You may have perceived it already, but I am definitely not a "Type A" personality. Nope. I am a sanguine. One who, left to my own devices, would spend my days pursuing relaxation and fun. I could very easily slip into "island style" living. If you haven't been to any of the Hawaiian or Caribbean islands, you may not be able to relate to that term. Spending a week or two on the coast regions would give you an idea, but it's not quite the same thing.

There is a deep something in the tropical air that simply begs you to relax, slow down, and enjoy the moment. Simple things like sunsets, the feel of the sand between your toes, the refreshing feel of a warm ocean current - oh yeah. That's the life for me. Yet, here I am in the near-desert climate of southeastern Washington state...and I am content.

I know I can drive for a few hours and be near the Pacific, I've been to Maui and plan to go back as soon as possible. Actually, I could probably live in Maui except for one simple fact. My church, my family and my friends are here. In the end, that's what keeps me here. I love the relationships Di and I have so much that location has become secondary.

Maybe that's a little taste of what Paul talked about when he said he'd learned to be content in all circumstances. The deep intimacy he had with his Maker and with his fellow believers was all he needed. His location and the circumstances became "background noise" that faded into utter unimportance.

What a great place to be.

No comments: