6.10.2006

Stick to Your Ribs!

Ah...nothing like the taste of ribs that are cooked just right! Can you guess what I had for dinner tonight? :)

Yep, I am sitting here, hours after the fact, basking in the warm glow of a huge beef ribs dinner and you know, I can't think of a single profound thought to record. So here's my first "throwaway" blog...well if you don't count my first blog when I found myself unintentionally creating a blog in the first place. ;) We had dinner with my wife's mom and her husband to celebrate my Mother-in-law's birthday, which happens to be tomorrow, the same day as my sons. What are the odds?

Happy birthday Jan and Branden!

Have you ever wondered what makes something funny? I don't mean just a little funny, I mean universally, rib-splitting, gut-busting funny. Guffawing, snort-inducing, hold your gut and shed tears funny. Me too. There seems to be a pattern to things that make us laugh. Playwrights, screenplay writers, and a few stand-up comics seem to have figured it out. There are body language cues, there specific types of movement in an area, facial expressions, and spoken language. For instance, have you ever noticed that clowns...well trained ones anyway...always move in circular, rounded movements? Hah, I didn't think so! Why is that? Well, that one I actually know the answer to. It's because straight lines aren't funny - they are commanding, so they are used to show aggression. Rounded paths to a destination are "soft" and therefore more likely to be funny and put an audience at ease. It's hard to laugh when you're tense.

I have no idea why I thought that was important enough to share with you, but there ya go.

Blessings...and remember, if you want to be funny walk in circles! :)

2 comments:

Emancipation of the Freed said...

Hey Don:

Your site is looking good. I enjoyed Diana's site and the urban legends link.

Did those ribs taste as good as they looked? I bet they did!

Z

Nadine said...

You're out of control now - you're hooked. Cool welcome to the blog side - I too fell into the blog side. HA ha